Thursday, August 14, 2008

August 14th, 2008

Another fairly lazy day. Coco and Lola had their community service project to finish up and their drug and alcohol awareness group ended for the summer so they went to the pizza party for a few hours. We are, however, babysitting Mimi until 7 or 8 tonight, so I squeezed some class time in after dinner.

August 14th
Fifi: Played on www.pbskids.org sorting with Curious George
Watched Singing Time ABC's on DVD
Helped make homemade pizza (okay so this time she really just watched, but she thinks she helped)

Coco and Mimi:
Math- Counting by 3s and Practice Math Facts
(Make up our own song)
(Use number board)
Lola helped them make up a cheer for the threes table. Also for math today as extra practice Mimi played on www.funbrain.com and practiced adding with regrouping and helped Fifi with a patterns game on the same site.
Social Studies- History of Alaska
(http://fairbanks-alaska.com/alaska-history.htm)
Lola also read them the Celebrate the States Alaska book while I made the pizza.
Worksheet about Eskimos from Comprehensive Curriculum the Best Skills Grade 3 book. Todd bought the book last night at Walmart of all places and I cant put it down!
Ohio History- Iroquois Indian Fact Game
(www.bigorrin.org/iroquois_kids.htm)
We looked at the site, read through it and the girls asked some questions.
Reading – Mimi has forgotten her book everyday this week. Neither girl is reading anything close to 30 minutes a day. I have to talk to Mimi's mom about this.
Spelling- Weekly Hangman
Lola has been a gift today. I have had to put together all of Nacho's curriculum for the 8th grade. Lola took the initiative to play hangman and "sparkle" with the girls while I searched Amazon for book deals. (BTW I got all 8 of his books this year for $30.86!!!) *Sparkle is a game that I am pretty sure Lola made up... I have no idea how to play or I would tell you LOL
Language Arts- Word Sort
(Using precut sentence builders sort into nouns and verbs)
Yay our white board is magnetic!! So Coco and Mimi and Fifi (who doesn't have a clue what a verb or noun are) played by pulling a word our of the jar and yelling out if it was a noun, verb or sometimes both then sticking it to the board.
Foreign Language- Starting Animals and Nature
(Kids Pocket Guide to Signing by Flodin)


August 14th
Math– Place Values, expanded form
(www.aaamath.com)
Lola got a 94% or better everyday this week. Im pretty sure she can move forward in her math.
US Geography- Read Celebrate the States Alaska to Coco and Mimi
Ohio History- Iroquois Indian Fact Game
(www.bigorrin.org/iroquois_kids.htm)
Reading- Read 1 hour
Spelling- Spelling words crossword
I am pretty confident she knows these words. She didnt want to play hangman with me because there was no one else to play with :(
(I make with vocab definitions on www.theteacherscorner.net )
Language Arts- Parts of a sentence
(www.internet4classrooms.com )
Foreign Language- Starting Animals and Nature
(Kids Pocket Guide to Signing by Flodin)
While we did start the animals and nature, they all wanted to watch the video again, we watched three of them. Then I went online and bought the whole series. LOL

All in all today went pretty well. I think my least favorite part of homeschooling is the interruption of schedules, which is odd, because most moms love the fact that they can change their schedule around without much hassle. I am thanking the Gods that the summer programs are over so we can have less interruptions.
I also wanted to mention how excited I am to be starting working with the Akron Homeschooling Meetup group. I met another mom who obviously homeschools but she is also Wiccan!! Yay me!

No comments: