Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 6th and 7th

August 6th
Math- Place Values out loud
Identifying place values to the hundreds place
Worksheet from Math Skillbuilders
Once again the girls love these worksheets. Coco needs to pay more attention to details and I am hoping Mimi can find the confidence to work more independently. They both received a 90% on both sheets.
Science- Write 5 sentences explaining why we recycle
Like pulling teeth from an angry croc! Neither girl wanted to write complete sentences. At some point I felt the need to just take what I could get.
Social Studies - History of Alabama
(http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108176.html)
The girls both seem really drawn to the Civil Rights Movement. We talked about cotton and peanuts as jobs, exports and versatility
Celebrate the States: Alabama by Shirley
Reading- Go to library to pick up our books! The girls went on the computers at the library and they choose to play on www.eekoworld.com!
Spelling- Spelling pretest
I was right to be a bit worried. Coco got 4 wrong but it was very messy, Mimi didn’t get any right but the few letters each word that she wrote were neater than I write. Oddly she felt none of the words needed vowels, her letters were backwards and, I can't tell if its laziness or a learning disability. Each girl has to write the words they got wrong 5 times. They were also reminded to use their flashcards when they are not “at school” to practice their words.
Language Arts – Noun Collage and Noun Worksheet
(www.abcteach.com)
Day One, we will be continuing these all week. Mimi is a very detailed oriented artist and I don’t want to rush her. When it comes to art, Coco is taking her cues from Mimi. They also completed another Noun worksheet. We explored when nouns become adjectives by their placement in the sentence. Fifi also joined in the the collage making with an all red letter "A" collage.
Foreign Language- Finger spelling our Names At the girls request we also watched the Signing Time with Leah video again.

August7th
Math- Specific Place Values on AAAMath
(www.aaamath.com)
(worksheet from Math Skillbuilders)
We worked on place values in correlation with addition. Mimi lead the class all the way! She knows this material. We did a numbers crossword puzzle and we did so me work on the white board to show place values. After seeing what she can do with Math, I am even more concerned with her writing and reading...
Science – World About Us Recycling. Coco had to read the book to Mimi and Fifi while I made lunch, then we talked about landfills and how they hurt the earth and the animals. Coco brought up what will happen when we run out of places to bury our trash. I think this is really sinking in. Sadly, I received a 20 minute lecture from an 8 year old when I served lunch on foam plates. LOL
Social Studies- Fun facts about Alabama
(http://www.50states.com/alabama.htm )
We filled in our fun facts sheets using 4 fun facts and colored our Alabama state flags.)
Ohio History- Intro to the Iroquois
www.www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=597
I read the web page to the girls an we talked about what it should have been like to be a Native American. I cant hide my feelings about this subject. I hadn't planned on teaching Ohio History this year but it turned out to be required. I could have planned better with more than 2 days notice. Now I just resent it!
Reading- Start Matilda! Finally! Each girl was asked to read 10 pages while I prepped and made some herbal eye health tea for my honey. Coco read ten and stopped with 20 minutes to spare. Shes so literal sometimes. Mimi read 3 pages and chose to play with Fifi and her baby dolls.
Spelling- Hangman and Crossword Puzzle
After our pretest yesterday, we wrote our misspelled words 5 times each and only Coco did the crossword puzzle. We also used the words in our language arts lesson. We may have to continue these words a few extra days. I am less concerned with their grades on the quizzes than I am with them actually knowing the words and I am less concerned with them learning these odd words than I am with how they learn them and what method will work best. (I.E. fodder, sordid, copper, comma, organ, ponder...)
Language Arts- Silly Noun Worksheet
We did a noun work sheets identifying which nouns were a person, a place or a thing. We also used our spelling words on the white board asking if which type of noun they were. I threw in an oral pop quiz about the difference in a noun, proper noun and pronoun. Again we had some issues with Mimi not wanting to write out the notes from the blackboard. I also noticed that she doesn't seem to write out the notes as they are written. Its almost as if she has some random version of shorthand that only she understands. Where are all the vowels?
Foreign Language- Begin Numbers in ASL
(Kids Pocket Guide to Signing by Flodin)
(Moses Goes to School by Millman)
The girls begged to watch the Signing Time ABC video again LOL We also found some great videos on signing on www.youtube.com I was careful to remind the girls that they cannot use this site without an adult but thanks to a new feature, I can set up a playlist of videos and they can watch them while I cleaned up the classroom and got ready to go to Mimi's house.

No comments: